Has this week been crazy for anyone else, or is it just me? I feel like it needs to be the weekend already. I know, I'm dreaming. It's only Wednesday for goodness sakes. It doesn't help that my mom, sister and step-dad are coming in town this weekend. I am so excited that it feels like the week cannot end soon enough.
If you need a mid-week treat like I do, I've got you covered.
Strawberry Shortcake has all of the essentials:
1. Biscuits for my bread/carb cravings
2. Light, fluffy cream to sub in for my daily ice cream (or fro yo) fix
3. Berries to that are so sweet they actually somewhat satisfy my everlasting sweet tooth...and of course they add enough nutritional value to make it all worth something!
Not to mention this dessert is pretty dang adorable.
(Adapted from here)
Makes 8 servings
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups Cool Whip or whipped cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
2/3 cup milk
1. Combine sliced berries and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the biscuits (can be prepared up to about 4-6 hours ahead of time).
2. For the biscuits, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Cut in chunks of butter until they are about pea-size. Stir in the milk until just combined.
4. Knead dough two or three times on a lightly floured surface. Pat until dough is about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into biscuits with round cutter and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
5. When biscuits have cooled about 5-10 minutes, slice each in half. Layer whipped cream and strawberries on the bottom half, and top with remaining half of the biscuit. Top it all off with more cream and strawberries if desired.